Editor’s Note: This is the TechSummit Lead, a daily technology recap that goes beyond the headlines.
- Microsoft has unveiled Project Natick, an ongoing research project into underwater data centers that could be both cost effective and environmentally friendly.
- Google will begin providing more in-depth election content in search results about the candidates and key issues.
- Facebook is now leaning heavily on surveys to rank stories in your News Feed.
- Samsung is adding support for content and ad blocking plugins to its browser preinstalled on its Android phones.
- Sesame Workshop, Sesame Street‘s parent company has announced Sesame Ventures, an internal team that partners with venture capital firms to make startup investments that support its mission of educating children.
- Telenor has acquired Tapad, a New York-based cross-device ad retargeting startup for $360 million on a “debt and cash-free” basis.
- U.S. and European officials missed a deadline Sunday to renegotiate a “Safe Harbor” agreement allowing companies like Apple and Google to shuttle data back and forth across the Atlantic.