I was going to write an intro to this piece, but Spotify did a better job than I ever could, so I’ll just quote them.
“Spotify is on a mission. With over 25 billion listening hours under the hood since our launch seven years ago, we’re obsessed with figuring out how to bring music into every part of your life, wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, whatever your mood.”
-Spotify, in a press release
The company took to the stage at a New York press briefing to rollout a “richer mobile music experience built around your day.” Here’s what they announced.
The Now start page aims to provide the soundtrack to your life from sunrise to sunset. Whether it’s a Monday morning pick-me-up or an after-lunch focus playlist, Now will have you covered with the “right” music selected from Spotify experts and your collection. Recommendations will adapt to fit your taste and mood.
“We’re bringing you a deeper, richer, more immersive Spotify experience. We want Spotify to help soundtrack your life by offering an even wider world of entertainment with an awesome mix of the best music, podcasts, and video delivered to you throughout the day. And we’re just getting started.”
-Daniel Ek, Spotify founder and CEO
For the first time, Spotify is also adding video clips and podcasts to its collection. The company will also suggest video and audio shows for you to watch and listen to throughout the day in Now. These shows (a full list is available below) come from brands like ABC, Adult Swim, the BBC, Comedy Central, Conde Nast Entertainment, ESPN, Fusion, Maker Studios, NBCUniversal, TBS, TED, and Vice News.
Other original content (full lineup below) includes Dance Move of the Day produced by Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls and curated radio shows presented by artists like Icona Pop, Tyler the Creator and Jungle.
The Now experience is available now (get it?) to iPhone users in the US, UK, Germany, and Sweden – with a wider launch in the near future.
- Presenting (audio): See above
- A Full English (video): A conversation between “widely separated” artists and personalities who try to find common ground over a meal
- Incoming (audio): A weekly show hosted by Joe Levy and guests, taking you through the “best new music around.”
- Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls, Dance Move of the Day (video): See above
- Guest List (video)
- Turntable (video): Bringing chefs and musicians together for a performance and meal
- The Drop (video): Artists tell how their new album came to life.
- Spotify Sessions (audio, video): Artist performances
- Landmark (audio and video): A history of “some of the greatest records ever released, told by the legends who helped create them.”
Spotify Partner shows
- Disney: Jimmy Kimmel Live, ESPN, Maker Studios, XGames, Fusion
- NBCUniversal: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Late Show with Seth Meyers, E! News, The Soup, The Grace Helbig Show, Brew Dogs
- Turner Broadcasting: TBS’s Conan, Adult Swim’s Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Rick and Morty, Tim & Eric’s Awesome Show
- Viacom: Comedy Central, VH1, MTV
- Vice: Vice News
- TED: Custom TED Talks playlists tailored for Now
- Conde Nast: GQ, Wired, Voque
- Nerdist: The Nerdist Podcast, Nerdist News
- Slate: Culture Gabfest
- Epic TV: Original extreme sports programming
- TWiT: This Week in Tech
- Blucora Media: How Stuff Works, Stuff You Should Know, Stuff to Blow Your Mid
- Elite Daily: Insights, 5 Stages, Generation Why
- Tastemade: food, drink, travel for Millenials
- PRX: 99% Invisible Podcast, The Moth podcast
- I am Rapaport: Michael Rapaport shares his views on “life, sports, music, film, and everything in between”
- Harper Collins
- American Public Media: Marketplace, The Splendid Table
- WNYC Studios: Radiolab, Freakonomics
Spotify Running is about “helping you go the extra mile” in your runs, combining the “best music on the planet” and the ability to tune music to your tempo and transition to “ensure you’ll never miss a beat.” Once you start running, Spotify will detect your temp and match music in time to your step.
The Swedish company is also teaming up with Nike to enable the Spotify Running experience in the Nike+ app, as well as in the RunKeeper app later this year.
Spotify is also launching Running Originals, music “specifically designed for running that dynamically adapts to your running tempo.” A total of six tracks, all of which are in Spotify Running, are available at launch.
Spotify Running is available now to iPhone users globally.