LG has unveiled its newest flagship smartphone, G4, at launch events in New York, London, Paris, Singapore, Istanbul and Seoul.
With the G4, LG focused on delivering “comfortable elegance, a great visual experience and a human-centric user experience.” The LG G4 camera features a F1.8 aperture lens, which allows 80 percent more light to hit the image sensor than in the LG G3. The innovative camera module is paired with a new IPS Quantum Display.
“We are living up to our promise of Innovation for a Better Life with a fashionable, premium smartphone that is more focused on delivering a balanced user experience that can compete with the best of the best. We wanted to give consumers a truly human-centric device that combined the analog sensibilities with technologies that delivered real world performance. From the design to the camera to the display to the UX, this is the most ambitious phone we’ve ever created.”
– Juno Cho, LG Electronics Mobile Communications company president and CEO
The LG G4 is available in handcrafted, genuine full grain leather in six beautiful colors. The vegetable tanning process employed is an “age old tradition” that requires skilled craftsmen to produce and dye the leather. Vegetable tanned leather is environmentally friendly and can be recycled easily, since no harsh chemicals are used. Other material options for the G4 rear cover include white, metallic gray and gold.
The LG G4’s design is defined by the Slim Arc, which runs along its entire body, highlighted by a display with a subtle curvature.
The exterior design is also reflected in the smartphone’s user interface, which includes icons that have rounded corners, consistent with the Slim Arc design. Also, the Smart Notice widget automatically changes its background and text color based on the home screen image selected by the user.
LG improved low-light performance even further with OIS 2.0, which doubles the performance of the improved OIS+ by expanding the range of image stabilization from one degree to two degrees on the X- and Y-axis and adding a third axis for the first time.
New for G4, Manual Mode allows experienced photographers the ability to exercise more artistic expression by letting them directly control the focus, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation and white balance for every shot. Advanced photographers can also save their photos in RAW format, in addition to JPEG, for more precise editing with no loss of details.
The advanced camera in the LG G4 is complemented by Color Spectrum Sensor (CSS), which improves color accuracy by reading the RGB values of the ambient light in a scene, as well as the infrared light reflected from objects. CSS uses this information to adjust the camera’s white balance and flash color to create images that are as close to what you would see with the naked eye.
For selfies good enough to frame, LG included an 8MP front-facing camera. Gesture Interval Shot improves on the original Gesture Shot feature by taking four shots spaced two seconds apart, increasing the chance of getting that perfect shot under the most difficult conditions. Triggering the shutter is as simple as opening and closing one’s hand twice in front of the camera.
The LG G4 is the first smartphone to use LG Display’s new 5.5-inch (2560 x 1440, 538ppi) IPS Quantum Display, which offers “20 percent greater color reproduction, 25 percent improvement in brightness and 50 percent greater contrast.” It is the “first Quad HD display to employ Advanced In-Cell Touch (AIT) technology,” which combines the LCD and touch sensor into a single layer. This new display is calibrated for DCI (Digital Cinema Initiatives) standards for color expression.
With G4, you are equipped with a 3,000mAh removable battery. Combined with the benefits offered by the snappy yet energy-thrifty Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 808 processor with X10 LTE, the LG G4 is estimated to last 20 percent longer than the G3, from the same capacity battery.
“LG and Qualcomm Technologies collaborated from the initial stage of the Snapdragon 808 introduction to expertly tune the technologies and make several of the LG G4’s unique features possible. The resulting G4 smartphone is an ideal example of how the best optimized technologies come together to meet consumers’ needs.”
– Paul Jacobs, Qualcomm International executive chairman
The LG G4 is the first phone to utilize the new human-centric UX 4.0 that promises to be “simpler and more intuitive to better understand and respond to the needs of each user.” Here’s an overview of the new features:
- Quick Shot allows customers to take pictures without opening the camera app by double tapping the phone’s Rear Key while the display is off. LG G4 also has a camera startup time of “just six-tenths of a second.”
- The Memories feature automatically organizes photos and videos into event albums based on the time and place they were taken.
- Event Pocket allows users to create one, unified calendar by dragging and dropping appointments and activities from multiple calendars and social media sites.
- The improved Smart Notice provides “more personalized” notifications for weather, travel and more by analyzing habits, such as how a user commutes to work. This allows Smart Notice to issue personalized messages such as, “Make sure to take an umbrella on your way to the subway.”
- Quick Help allows users to search for instant answers to any questions about operating the LG G4, right in the Smart Notice widget. Quick Help can guide users through the LG G4’s settings or schedule a call with customer service.
LG has partnered with Google to give G4 owners an additional 100GB of Google Drive storage free for two years. With MirrorLink and LG G4, owners of Volkswagen vehicles will be able to view a car-friendly version of the G4 interface on the in-dash display for full integration with contacts, navigation and music on the smartphone.
The LG G4 is available now in Korea and will eventually be available on approximately 180 carriers worldwide. Prices and carrier availability will be announced locally in each market.
Here is the spec sheet:
- Memory: 32GB eMMC ROM, 3GB LPDDR3 RAM / microSD slot
- Operating System: Android 5.1 Lollipop
- Dimensions: 148.9 x 76.1 x 6.3 – 9.8 mm, 155g
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac, Bluetooth 4.1LE / NFC / USB 2.0, 4G / LTE / HSPA+ 21 Mbps (3G)
- Colors: [Ceramic] Metallic Gray / Ceramic White / Shiny Gold / [Genuine Leather] Black / Brown / Red / Sky Blue / Beige / Yellow