In a “me too” move, Sony got in on the selfie bandwagon today with the Xperia C3, the “ultimate new smartphone for selfies.”
For more on the device, watch the video embedded below:
Calum MacDougall, Director of Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile:
“Xperia C3 is a unique new smartphone from Sony, created to offer the ultimate social sharing experience with a new powerful ‘PROselfie cam’. It also presents a combination of the best of Sony, with leading digital imaging technology and brilliant specs and performance all for a mid-range price.
The rise of selfies shows no signs of abating – its usage has increased by 17,000% since 2012 with the word officially being added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2013. We’re excited to offer SONY’s first ‘PROselfie Smartphone’ and play a part in this global phenomenon.”
The Xperia C3 produces “perfect selfies wherever, whenever” with a wide-angle 5MP front-facing camera that allows for wider shots. With a soft flash, you can take “flattering photos day or night” by double tapping the back cover or using Smile Shutter, which you can then share to your friends in “three clicks.” Thanks to the camera’s Superior Auto mode, pictures are automatically adjusted backed on lighting conditios and the auto scene recognition function, which works with HDR and the built-in LED flash to make sure that you get the best photo or video “in any light.”
To enhance images even further, the Xperia C3 comes preloaded with several selfie camera apps, AR effect to incorporate themes that let you easily add fun graphics and animations such as pirate hats, horror faces and laser eyes to your images and videos. Portrait Retouch allows up to two users to receive digital makeovers in real time by using up to 10 beauty styles, 10 deco frame options and 6 eye reflections.
Created with Sony’s Cybershot technology, the Xperia C3’s 8MP main camera, featuring a Exmor RS mobile image sensor, captures “perfect pictures even in challenging lighting conditions.” With SteadyShot, all of your videos will come out “smooth and distortion-free.” The front camera also makes video calls “crispy clear” with “exceptional image quality” on the C3’s 5.5-inch display over 4G LTE or WiFi.
We mentioned the Xperia C3’s camera apps earlier on, but let’s now go in depth on them:
- Superior Auto- Available on both cameras. From illuminated night views to backlit selfies, Superior Auto recognizes four scene types on the front camera and up to 36 scenes on the C3’s main camera and adjusts the settings automatically, to help you “get the best photos anywhere, in any light.” As the default camera mode, Superior Auto turns HDR on or off depending on our scene. HDR mode takes multiple shots with varied exposures and then merges them together to make your photos “look natural” — even in backlit conditions.
- Portrait retouch v.2- Style your close-ups in real time. To make sure that you “look your best on-camera,” Portrait retouch v.2 has real-time makeover, several DECO frame options and magic eye beam (light reflection) effects. Portrait Retouch offers a choice of 10 different beauty styles — including four natural looks for the guys — and the ability to retouch portraits of up to two people per image. You can see the changes in real-time before capturing the shot to know what you’re look like when it’s captured.
- Timeshift burst – Timeshift Burst captures 31 frames in two seconds — starting even before you press the shutter. After the shoot, consumers can choose the magazine-quality shot or keep them all.
- Picture effects- Apply a wide selection of effects to your photos, change colors, add image trails or apply mirror effects to “enhance your images and open up a world of possibilities.”
- Social live- Broadcast important moments as they happen live on Facebook. Get responses from your friends onscreen and keep the conversation going.
- Sweep Panorama- Take a panorama by sweeping the camera around a scene.
Xperia C3 supports 4G LTE with up to 150Mbps download speeds and 50Mbps upload speeds, allowing you “to share every highlight of your day, anytime and anywhere.” Powered by an 1.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor and 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage, Xperia C3 offers “ultra-fast performance with breathtaking graphics.”
At 7.6mm thick and a weight of 150g, this smartphone is perfect for people that are constantly on the move. Built with “leading Sony technology,” the Xperia C3 has a 5.5-inch (1280×720) HD IPS display optimized with BRAVIA technology that “offers great viewing from any angle.”
The Xperia C3 features an easy-toggle keyboard for one-handed input. In addition, its Simple Home mode offers a simplified home screen ideal for first-time smartphone users with larger fonts and is loaded with the most used apps and speed dial features.
The Xperia C3 provides “extended usage to help you get the most out of your smartphone whilst on the move.” On top of this, Battery Stamina Mode 3.0 saves you wasted battery drain by recognizing when you’re not using your display and automatically turning off the functions you don’t need, while keeping the functions you want.
Sony’s latest generation of dual-SIM technology allows users to set up both SIM cards independently with custom ringtones and easily choose between SIMs before making calls or sending texts, while Sony’s dual SIM management means that users can keep both SIMs active and never miss a call, even when taking on one of them.
Xperia C3 will be available in black, white and mint green starting this August in China. but will be available globally. Below’s the rest of the spec sheet:
- Android 4.4 KitKat
- Dimensions: 156 x 78. x 7.6mm
- 2500mAh battery (up to 24 hours of talk time, 1071 hours of standby time, 93 hours of music playback, 10 hours of video playback)