SEATTLE — Starbucks announced an enhanced iOS app which will allow customers to tip their baristas directly from the Starbucks iPhone app.
Customers using Starbucks’ iPhone app in the US, UK and Canada will experience a streamlined design and easy access to their account and My Starbucks Rewards information. In addition, customers using the app will have the option to leave a tip at more than 7,000 Starbucks throughout the U.S.
Adam Brotman, Starbucks Chief Digital Officer:
“With more than 11 percent of transactions a week happening with a mobile device in our stores, and nearly 10 million customers currently using our mobile app, we’re thrilled to make the digital experience even easier and more rewarding for our customers and partners. This update to the Starbucks app for iPhone is an important next step in digital innovation at Starbucks and one of the many ways we’ll expand and improve our digital experience in the months to come.”
Digital tipping has been a top suggestion for loyal Starbucks fans. The feature rolled out to iPhone users in this update, and will roll out to Starbucks for Android users later this year.
Cliff Burrows, group president, U.S., Americas and Teavana:
“As more and more customers are using their phone to pay, they have also asked for a convenient and meaningful way to show their appreciation to store partners. We’re proud to offer digital tipping as an option through the updated Starbucks for iPhone app for customers in the U.S.”
Through the Starbucks for iPhone app, customers can enjoy the following features:
- Mobile Payment- allows customers to pay for Starbucks beverages with their mobile device
- Digital Tipping- allows customers to show their appreciation to baristas by tipping through the app. Customers can tip in denominations of $0.50, $1.00, or $2.00
- Shake to Pay- allows customers to bring the barcode of their Starbucks Card by shaking their mobile device
- My Starbucks Rewards status- Redesigned to streamline viewing of Rewards history. Also features new transaction types, such as multiple transactions in a single day and promotional offers, in one integrated view
- Reload- Allows customers to reload their Starbucks Card balance directly from their mobile device with a major credit card. Customers can also set up automatic reloads.
- Store Locator- Allows customers to search for closest Starbucks stores, view the amenities available at each store, and save favorite stores.
- Starbucks Card eGift- Allows customers to treat friends and family to their favorite Starbucks products through a virtual gift from their iPhone. Customers can customize with a personal message and send directly using contacts for any amount between $5-$100.
- The app is available now in the App Store. Additionally, customers can access their Starbucks account using Passbook, allowing customers’ Starbucks Cards to appear on their iPhone screen automatically after they enter a Starbucks store.